If you have been following this special series of posts where for two weeks we have published content to help you with your email marketing strategy, it is time to thank you and a sunset seems to be a good farewelll…
We will certainly post more content around email marketing but we also have many other topics to write about, regarding search marketing, web development, social media campaigns, online reputation management, web intelligence, web competitors analysis and much more. But in order to close properly, we will summarize with 10 best practices that you should always remember:
- Have a goal.- define your goal and establish your KPIs (key performance indicators), or in plain English: establish what has to happen for you to know that your campaign has been a success.
- Build a great contact list and manage it constantly- keep in mind that quality over quantity is always better and that your list must be an opt-in list.
- Invest time on your content.- understand that your need to have an email marketing calendar that defines the topics and the dates and make sure it fits in the broader content blue print for all your internet marketing campaigns. Make sure the content ads value and are not only a sales pitch.
- Align your email offers with web properties and real world.- make sure that the offer is included on the landing page or landing website and that is honored and known by the customer service representative that will answer inquiries.
- Test, test and test.- remember that a single change on an email piece can modify results, so test your subject, your headline, your content, your graphics, the color of the buttons, the landing page and so. Also test the day and time you send emails.
- Use a professional designed template.- use a professional email system that provides you with pre-designed templates you can customize or have a web designer build your piece. And make sure your piece can be read also by people that only receive text emails.
- Follow the law and CAN SPAM Act.- if you do not want to worry with this technicalities then you must use a professional email system that complies with the regulations.
- Measure results.- be sure you have a robust set of reports that can monitor your email campaign with all the necessary parameters. Again, we strongly suggest you use a professional email marketing service like Constant Contact or others that provide all this analytics for you.
- Integrate with social media.- be aware of the multiplying effect that an email marketing campaign can have when it is properly tied to your social media strategy and, specifically, to your blog. And if you do not have a blog, then give serious though to integrating one on your strategy.
- Start now!.- be careful not to fall into such a detailed planning process that your first email never sees the light. You should go ahead and start and learn through the process, the only way to have a successful email marketing campaign, or for the case any Internet Marketing campaign, is to go live and learn.